Mittwoch, 26. November 2008

S/Y Nereida...- Thanksgiving greetings ...

This is Jeanne Socrates in Cocos Keeling last year in September, shortly before she came to Rodrigues where, by the way, she spent the Autonomy Celebration of Rodrigues in October, just like so many sailors did it too last month. I had to think about her and also about not having been in touch for quite a while, so I started digging in her website.... This is Nereida, her boat with which she came to Rodrigues...and no, this is not Rodrigues here in the background of the photo...
And this is what I found... and which kept me feeling so unsettled for a while, that I couldn't decide to write immediately about it...

Nereida Lost on Mexican Beach

June 30, 2008 – Playa Michigan, Mexico

Jeanne Socrates credits the 2006 Singlehanded TransPac for giving her the confidence to set off on a 15-month solo circumnavigation. We're heartsick to report that Jeanne Socrates, who, after completing the 2006 Singlehanded TransPac, decided to take on the world with a 15-month solo circumnavigation, has lost her beloved UK-based Najad 361 Nereida less than 100 miles from her starting point of Zihuatanejo.

"Nereida was grounded halfway from Acapulco to Zihuatanejo on a desolate, mainly uninhabited part of the coast, after the autopilot went down just before first light on June 19," Jeanne wrote in an update to friends this weekend. "I was taking my usual timed nap — a stopwatch set for 45 minutes — which looked fine in the situation: full moon, some swell and waves but not much, motoring in very little wind, a good distance from a long sandy shore. Because I was motoring in calm conditions, the resultant change of course was not obvious enough to wake me up in time, as it would have done had I been sailing. .....Read more

Here the place it happened...


And this e-mail just came in...so I thought it is the right moment...


"I'm trying desperately to keep my 'head above water' with all the different items for the new boat I'm having to sort out... present thoughts are on navlights, cabin heater, trucking to UK from Sweden, curtains, Customs clearance for incoming salvaged gear, AIS equipment, autopilot,... it seems never-ending... and then lots of travelling with all the organizing needed there. Certainly a busy life! I'm hoping to relax over the New Year in Mexico... I need to wind down..! H...E...L...P....!!! Trying to find time to update my 'blog' for November on my website - soon, hopefully. But, in the meantime, to all my US friends.... I hope you have a VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING on Thursday 27th Nov!!!
Cheers, Jeanne
London (for the moment!)

And we wish you, Jeanne, a very lucky time with your new boat and that you get everything sorted out smoothly...

And to all American friends a VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING from us in Rodrigues too !

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

C'est triste d'apprendre votre histoire...d'avoir perdu votre bateau a quelques kilometres du point de départ...nous sommes de tout coeur avec vous et on vous souhaite bon courage pour la suite.

Im sorry for what happened to you and your boat just so close to home...we wish you with all our heart all the best for the next time and for today a nice Thanksgiving too although you are not in America, and to be honest in Rodrigues nobody really knows Thanksgiving but this will change now as we will visit now Brutus on the K-files...))

Briginette